Monday, November 7, 2011

Puzzle Pieces


Have you ever thought about how many questions we ask during the course of our lives? Some of them are simple: what will I have for lunch? Will it rain today? What kind of pet do I want? And some are harder to answer: Am I ready to get married? Where will my next paycheck come from? What’s my purpose on this earth? That’s a question I imagine people will be asking until we’re no longer here to ask it anymore. And each time we ask one of these questions, it’s as though we’re picking up a piece to an intricate jigsaw puzzle and searching for it’s place. 

To me, it’s seems clear that the puzzle we’re piecing together couldn’t be here in the first place if there was no one to make it. Maybe you don’t believe Someone had to have made it. Maybe you don’t really even think there is a puzzle at all. But it’s hard to put puzzles together when you don’t believe in puzzles in the first place. For the better part of my life, I’ve been pretty confident that God is the Maker of it all. But more than just the Creator, He is the purpose-Giver.

And I think we were given such intricate and amazing minds so that we could enjoy the journey of figuring it all out. We’re born without answers, and as we grow, we ask questions. With each new experience, we learn. Some of us learn harder lessons than others. And some of us search a little harder than others. But we all start with blank canvases, and when we reach the end of our lives, God has painted a masterpiece.

Each question is a puzzle piece. And every answer we get is a piece put in its place. But the puzzle’s not easy. In fact, I think you could even argue that the more pieces we put together, the further we realize we are from the picture on the box. And one thing that we all have in common is that none of us get to see the finished product before we die. But what about after? I believe some do. I think for those in Jesus, there is opportunity to see it all as it was meant to be. And it’s not just a finished puzzle, but a picture never cut in the first place—a pure, unaltered image of what we all search to find in this life. And I think that view will make the journey worth all the ups and downs it took to get there. We’ll get to see it through the eyes of the One who made it all, standing once for all by His side. And I cannot wait for that day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment