Monday, January 30, 2012

Jesus At A Wedding

I’ve been in a lot of weddings. More than most people my age. I think a big reason is where I’ve grown up Wichita Falls & College Station, TX are pretty conservative Bible-Belt towns where getting married is pretty much synonymous with graduating college. Most girls at A&M get their engagement ring before their class ring, hence the old Aggie adage “ring by spring.” The reason I say all this is that it would make perfect sense that the wedding I was in last weekend would just feel like going through the motions. It would seem that weddings, by now, would have lost a lot of value in sentiment and in meaning. But that couldn’t be further from reality. Because last weekend, I saw Jesus in that wedding.

My friends, Blake & Caroline have a great story. A couple of years ago, Blake had his eye on Caroline, and wanted to get in a little closer. He asked her out, and began his pursuit. Through some awkward times, and some really fun ones, they got to know each other better and better. For me, it has been such a joy to watch as Blake’s relationship with Caroline started very soon after he and I had become really close friends. It almost feels like our time as friends has been defined by watching him grow as a man while dating Caroline. And he’s become such a great man in that time. I was so proud to stand with him as he committed his life to Caroline.

As their wedding approached, I was thrilled just to be able to go back home for a weekend with some of my closest friends. I couldn’t wait. And as excited as I was, I knew Blake must have been a hundred times more so. When I got into town, everyone seemed to be just as excited as I was. We were all so happy for Blake & Caroline, and, like me, everyone was just thrilled to be back together, even if only for about 48 hours. The wedding was getting so close, and anticipation was as high as ever.

On the day of the wedding, another of my best friends, Blayne, and I went over to Blake’s house. We got to spend a couple hours with him as he tried to pass the time before the biggest moment of his life. It felt so good to be back with two of my absolute closest friends again. I didn’t really think about much else at that point—just enjoyed their company, and the excitement of the coming hours.

When we got to the church, everyone was ready, Blake most of all. It had been a long time coming, and now all that was left to do was take a few pictures and take our places. It was a time with which I was very familiar. And like almost every time before, while I sat with and talked with Blake, I couldn’t help but put myself in his place. I tried to imagine what he must have been feeling. I think I must have a pretty good imagination, because as I thought about it, I could feel the butterflies in my stomach. There wasn’t anything that Blake had to worry about anymore. No more planning, no more being patient, no more waiting. The day that had taken almost an entire year to plan had finally arrived.

I know that almost any girl would tell you that she’s thought about her wedding day since she knew what weddings were. But what a lot of guys may not tell you is that we think about that too. I doubt it’s anywhere near as much as girls, and it certainly looks a little different in our minds (we’re not thinking about flowers and color schemes), but we think about it. Guys who aren’t worried about “living it up” before they’re married definitely look forward to their weddings. I know I do. And I know Blake had. He had prayed for Caroline long before she met him, and she likewise. They both waited anxiously to meet one another, and by God’s grace, they finally did. And now the day that would bring it all together had finally arrived.

Lance, the pastor, Blake, and all the groomsmen took our places and turned to watch as each bridesmaid came down the aisle. I didn’t have a clue what would have been going through Blake’s head at that point. I wondered if each time another girl came down the aisle he just tried to imagine what Caroline would look like in their place, wearing a dress he’d never seen. Once they were all in place, the doors closed, and the music changed. And with it, the room grew a little tenser with anticipation, and no doubt, Blake’s heart was almost beating loud enough for us to hear it.

When the doors swung open, it wasn’t like most weddings I’ve seen, where all at once she was finally there for her groom to see. It was quite dark everywhere but right on stage, and with the lights in eyes, it was probably even harder for Blake to see his bride. And as she got a little further down the aisle, her face was illuminated and her big smile was finally visible. Blake was finally looking at the girl he was about to marry. All those years of praying, all those months of waiting, had finally come to this. Faith became sight.

During the ceremony, Lance told their story, and the repeated their vows. Lance described exactly what they already knew—that their marriage would be a living representation of something much bigger than the two of them. He told Caroline that her support and submission would show how the church is to love Jesus. And he told Blake how his leadership and sacrifice would show the world how Jesus loves us.

When they were pronounced man & wife, everyone cheered, and the ceremony came to a close. But the celebration was hardly over. The wedding party took our pictures, and then headed downtown to the reception. People ate and danced and congratulated the newlyweds. We talked and laughed together, and when it was over and Blake & Caroline drove away, we weren’t ready to say goodbye to each other, so those of us who could, left to go spend more time together. We went back to my aunt & uncle’s house—one our favorite hang-out spots, where we moved from dancing to resting our feet and just having good conversations. Some of the guys went off to have our own conversation, which turned to topics dealing with God and our walks with him. It was so much like old times. It was as though we all knew our time together was quickly coming to a close, and we wanted to make the most of it by doing what we loved to do together. In that moment, I wanted nothing more than to stay there forever. I thought of how I would soon be in my car, on my way back to Dallas, and I’d wish I were still sitting upstairs in that house, talking about Jesus with my best friends. And very soon my fears were realized, and I found myself in my truck, driving away from some of the people I love most. And during my two-hour drive, I had an opportunity to simply reflect on the whole weekend. I thought about what a great time I’d had, and I talked to Jesus, thanking Him for the chance. And as I sat there, prayerfully replaying it all in my head, I thought about what a perfect picture it had all painted. I thought about how, like Blake and Caroline had done a year ago, when they got engaged, we Christians pledged ourselves to Jesus; and how, like an engagement, we spend the rest of our time here in this world, preparing for the next, when we’ll finally join him, face to face. And I thought about how someday, we’ll go Home. And when we finally get there, it’ll be like that moment when Caroline came down the aisle and into the light. We’ll see Jesus, eyes fixed on us, with the biggest, most uncontainable smile on His face. But I don’t think we’ll say vows, because that commitment was taken care of when Jesus died on a cross for us. And when we confessed that He was Savior. I think it will be more of a ceremony to signify the end of our waiting—the reward for that hope that we have—the hope that someday, the pain of sin and separation from Him will end, and we’ll finally be with in His presence forever. And the rest of our time—eternity—will be like a huge reception. We’ll dance, we’ll feast, and we’ll enjoy the presence of close friends. Only there we won’t ever say goodbye. We won’t have to hug and fight back tears as we leave to go back to our new homes. We’ll all be home. Together. At last.

Today, Caroline’s sister told me that their uncle was quite moved by the wedding. He must have seen what I’d seen. He was so moved, in fact, that he accepted Jesus for the first time. I couldn’t help but smile, and even get chills, as she described how it all happened. But I almost wasn’t surprised. It just seemed so clear that night. And what a powerful ministry their marriage has already become. It’s really an amazing way to start their lives together—by introducing an unbelieving family member to Jesus.  

Blake and Caroline are finally married. They’ll forever be man and wife. I’m so happy for them. And I’m so happy to have been there when they committed to marriage. Because in watching them, I came to know Jesus better. I saw Him in their wedding. 

2 comments:

  1. Nolen seriously your writing is such an encrouagement to me. As I sit in japan away from everyone I love, I cant help but me agonized by longing to be with you, sitting at ted and nancys, talking about Jesus with my best friends in the world. I cant wait to be in heaven where we will never have to say goodbye and celebrate with Our Savior what he accomplished in our lives here in earth! Thanks for writing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Clark. Wish you could have been there, too. I'm glad these words found you well. We all love you, and miss you a lot, my friend.

    ReplyDelete